Sunday, January 6, 2013

Week 1 - Running on Adrenaline and Love


I have been surprised at how well I can function on such little sleep. One of the advantages (there aren't too many!) of having a c-section is that you stay in hospital for four nights following the delivery. Mt Auburn isn't a typical hospital, the rooms are private and very comfortable and the food is delicious – it is like being in a hotel. Every day we were visited by a ward nurse, attending nurse, midwife, pediatrician, lactation consultant and mental health counselor... And had access to them around the clock.

The very best thing - the nurses are angels. Having access to them 24/7 had been extremely helpful and reassuring. We have had demonstrations from several people on all of the important things: feeding, burping, swaddling, soothing and changing diapers although I think for me, the best thing has been the understanding and compassion from all of them. Calling them to the room at 3am to offer guidance, always started with me being frantic, Mylo getting fussy and ends both of us being content. Often, they would just coach from the entry way and let us find our way. Leaving hospital I felt positive and confident - thank-you to the nurses in postpartum care at Mt Auburn Hospital.

Michael has been an in-valuable support, especially in the first few days where he had to help me do absolutely everything and care for Mylo. I am usually extremely independent, so it was an adjustment to accept help, especially for basic functions.

In the days after Mylo’s birth we were visited by some very special friends and classmates of Michaels. It was really nice to see them, they all adored Mylo and we look forward to sharing plenty of unforgettable memories throughout our time in Boston - and beyond!

We spent New Years Eve sitting together watching the ball drop in Times Square on TV. It was a far cry from what we were doing last year – where we were in Kathmandu, Nepal after spending the previous twelve days trekking to Everest Base Camp. This celebration was different, it was just the three of us, and it was perfect.

My Mum arrived on the 2nd of January after a mammoth journey from Australia. It was so nice to have her here as we haven’t seen her since August. Mylo loves his Grandma and since arriving home Mum has been ‘night shift’ allowing me to have a few hours on uninterrupted sleep.

My precious friend has been cooking and keeping us company, I will be forever in her debt for the support she is providing us.

It felt very strange driving away from the hospital as a family of three. It was just relieving to be at home, back in our own space and to properly welcome Mylo.  On the 4th of January we saw the pediatrician, who said Mylo is perfect (but we already knew that!). We then had brunch at one of my favourite cafes in Harvard Square and ran some errands. It felt like we had been doing this ‘parent’ thing for ever. Mylo is a very content little man, he has been sleeping for four hour blocks overnight (11pm to 7am with a feed in the middle) and 2 to three hour naps during the day. He is happy with a tummy full of milk and will fall into his ‘mooky comas’ as we refer to them. We have had a lot of visitors come to meet him, and looking forward to many more in the coming weeks.

Michael left for Chile on the 5th, a trip that is part of his course. He will be away for 12 days. It was tough to say good-bye to him after spending so much time together not only in the past week and month - we haven’t been apart for more than a few days for the whole of 2012! Mylo is going to miss his Daddy cuddles, especially in the mornings and I know that I am going to miss Michael for his support, company and humour. Oh and did I mention Michael was the chief diaper changer? Yep, he is going to be missed!!

Today, the 6th of January was Mylo’s due date, and he is one week old. It is hard to believe that it has only been a week… He is a part of my life that I never knew was missing...


First morning cuddles with Daddy
Leaving hospital


Brunch
Helping Dad..?
Mylo in a 'mooky coma'

Boston in January

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I came across your blog. I loved reading it all so far - it made me teary the whole time. I'm just so happy for you guys, and I can't wait to meet sweet Mylo. Way to go, momma.

    ReplyDelete